Hybrid Talks XXXII "Learning"
To BYOD or not to BYOD in an elementary school?
Prof. Dr. Dr. Daniel D. Hromada
Bring Your Own Device
"Bring your own device (BYOD) refers to technology models where students bring a personally owned device to school for the purpose of learning. A personally owned device is any technology device brought into the school and owned by a student (or the student’s family), staff or guests.”
(Alberta Education 2012)
- Laptop PC / OLPC
- Tablet / Slate
- e-reader / smart paper
- digitale Fibel
- combination of above-mentioned
- something new
Dixon, Tierney (2012)
Elementary School in an ideal world
Elementary School in a digital world
BYOD OR NOT BYOD ?
Laurence Olivier's Hamlet (1948)
- cost reduction
- ecology ?
- works well in corporate scenario
- well-adapted tools increase efficiency
- kids themselves like it
- some studies and meta-studies indicate increased learning success
"In other words, 69.95% of learners using a mobile device performed significantly better in dependent variables related with cognitive achievement than those not using mobile devices."(Sung, Chang & Liu, 2016)
- how do You manage heterogenity?
- Alltag: ransomware , deep fakes, cybercrime, full SD cards
- small or no cost reduction
- Statussymbol "arms race"
- some studies (including OECD-PISA, London School of Economics etc.) indicate decreased efficiency of learning due to mal-managed digitalisation
- some devices (e.g. smartphones) seem to have harmful effects on user's cognition, physiognomy, emotional state etc. (Spitzer, 2018)
- reduction of teacher's authority, mutual trust, eye-to-eye contact etc.
BYOD : Start in die nächste Generation (Kammerl et al., 2016, Universität Hamburg)
“Es gibt keine Hinweise, dass die Schülerinnen und Schüler durch die Nutzung der Smartphones und anderer persönlicher Endgeräte innerhalb des Untersuchungszeitraums signifikant höhere Kompetenzniveaus [in Medienbildung] erreichen konnten.” (s.109)
"Für den Untersuchungszeitraum gab es in den erhobenen Daten keine Hinweise darauf, dass diese Zielsetzungen [Lernerfolg der Schülerinnen und Schüler zu verbessern] bereits erreicht worden wären." (s. 110)
Bring Your Own Smartphone ?
"Handyverbote sind von gestern."
Claudia Bogedan, President of Kultusministerkonferenz (KMK), August 2016
"We know today that there is a phenomenon of screen addiction, the phenomenon of bad mobile phone use... Our main role is to protect children and adolescents.
It is a fundamental role of education, and this law allows it."
Jean-Michel Blanquer, Education Minister of French Republic, July 2018
BYOS or not BYOS ?
The middle path
a definite YES
to a 1:1 scenario in an elementary school but only when
- the Goal is concrete and well-defined
- device is well-chosen and adapted to the Goal & the curriculum (and not the other way arround!)
- "collaterals" are not ignored
- science-driven and not "market"-driven attitude is adopted
Make Your Own Device at UdK / BOL / ECDF
Thanks for Your attention
and do not forget to MYOD!
Use a spacebar or arrow keys to navigate